We may use anything we know about you to help us serve you better. We may use it, and disclose it to our affiliates and others, for any purpose allowed by law. For instance, we may use your information, and disclose it to others, in order to:
- Help us evaluate your request for a MetLife product or service
- Help us process claims and other transactions
- Confirm or correct what we know about you
- Help us prevent fraud, money laundering, terrorism and other crimes by verifying what we know about you
- Help us run our business
- Process data for us
- Perform research for us
- Help us comply with the law
- Audit our business
Other reasons we may disclose what we know about you include:
- Doing what a court or government agency requires us to do; for example, complying with a search warrant or subpoena
- Telling another company what we know about you, if we are or may be selling all or any part of our business or merging with another company
- Giving information to the government so that it can decide whether you may get benefits that it will have to pay for
- Telling your health care provider about a medical problem that you have but may not be aware of
- Giving your information to a peer review organization if you have health insurance with us
- Giving your information to someone who has a legal interest in your insurance, such as someone who lent you money and holds a lien on your policy
When we disclose information to others to perform business services for us, they are required to take appropriate steps to protect this information. And they may use the information only for the purposes of performing those business services.
We may use what we know about you in order to offer you our other products and services. We may share your information with other companies to help us. Here are our other rules on using your information to market products and services:
- We will not share information about you with any of our affiliates for use in marketing its products to you, unless we first notify you. You will then have an opportunity to tell us not to share your information by “opting out”.
- Before we share what we know about you with another financial services company to offer you products or services through a joint marketing arrangement, we will let you "opt-out."
- We will not disclose information to unaffiliated companies for use in selling their products to you, except through such joint marketing arrangements.
- We will not share your health information with any other company, even one of our affiliates, to permit it to market its products and services to you.