Diversity and Inclusion
At MetLife, we understand that respecting and valuing the differences among our people makes us a more inclusive and innovative organization. By embracing diversity and cultivating an inclusive work environment across our operations in more than 40 countries, our employees — and our organization as a whole — are positioned to thrive.
While every employee plays a role in this effort, the executive officers and Global Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer are ultimately accountable for ensuring that we are successful. We believe that creating an inclusive culture requires attention to six areas:
- Engagement of senior leaders
- A strong infrastructure and inclusive policies/practices
- Internal and external communications about the company’s commitment to an inclusive work environment
- Designing and delivering D&I concepts into leadership and employee education
- Aligning D&I with business opportunities
- Measuring our progress
Cultivating a Culture of Diversity and Inclusion
Talented, diverse employees provide fresh perspectives, strategic thinking and innovative problem solving. A diverse workforce better equips us to understand global markets, build strong relationships with our customers and forge connections within the communities where we live and work.
Our global D&I strategy is focused on three strategic pillars, which are adapted to fit regional needs.
- Identifying top diverse talent
- Developing our diverse workforce and inclusive policies and practices
- Ensuring that our talent delivers high business performance and is engaged in meaningful work
We survey our workforce to measure employee attitudes, behaviors and beliefs around inclusion in the workplace, as well as the effectiveness of our D&I efforts. We also track employee participation in our networks and program events and review our leadership pipeline to ensure that women and employees in under-represented groups continue to make progress. In addition, we require a diverse slate for open senior leader positions.